Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2011

Music Review: "Vices & Virtues" by Panic at the Disco


I like Panic at the Disco. I wouldn't consider myself a fanatic, but I've enjoyed them ever since I heard the demo for "Time to Dance" on PureVolume way back when. When Pretty. Odd. came out, I was impressed at how well they handled the huge shift they had undergone stylistically due to the departure of two of their members, and I wondered where they would go from there. Which brings us to this album.

Vices and Virtues isn't really a bad album, exactly. I'm sure there are plenty of PATD fans who think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, which I would never agree with (sliced bread is fucking AWESOME), and they're entitled to think so. But as I listened to the album, I could see what they were trying to do, and, to be honest, I don't think they achieved their goal. The album itself is kind of a fusion of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out's techno-rock sound and the accessible pop melodies of Pretty. Odd., and I can understand why they would want to try and reconcile the two vastly different aspects of their career into a single, cohesive sound.

However, the end result just ends up being too stale and bland for me to enjoy. It lacks the bombastic brassy show-tune-esque nature of Pretty. Odd. as well as the cuttingly sharp and clever lyricism of A Fever You Can't Sweat Out, leaving me with something of a generic pop-rock album. All in all, not bad, but I can't say that I thought it was good, as far as PATD is concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment