Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Local Music?! Metal Gear?!

So, local music in Benedictine isn't exactly what it was back in Pella. There used to be all kinds of music to hear people play in Pella: grindcore, acoustic folk, soul, shoegaze, sludge metal, you name it. Here, I found out, there is indeed music, but it's slightly more limited. I went to an open mic night, and met some guy who apparently likes my taste in music and keeps talking to me about dubstep, and some guy complimented me for playing "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea," but for the most part, I think my performance (I also played The Tallest Man on Earth's "The Gardener") went over a lot of people's heads. The dubstep guy was the only other guy to pick good music (he did a few Bright Eyes songs). I still don't know his name. But back on topic.

There's really only one band whose gained my respect on campus: Top Shelf. The first time I saw them, I was completely taken by surprise at how good their music was. If I had to try and describe it, I would call it a mashing together of Vampire Weekend and Weezer, but I really don't think that description does them justice. You can check them out here. I recommend giving them a listen; "Mornings" is probably one of my personal favorites.

Now that I've shamelessly plugged a band I admire, time for other stuff. It's almost summer time. I should be worrying about the band. I'm not. For some reason, I have this thought that spending two semesters not playing Halo will result in people ACTUALLY beating me in Halo games again this summer. Frightening stuff. And I have a really bad hankering to watch Futurama again. It's been so long since I've seen that show, and it's probably one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. Certainly funnier than Seinfeld. This post doesn't really have a point anymore, not that it ever really had one to begin with.

As one final note... Gentleman, I will be marrying Taylor Momsen someday, so keep your mitts off her. So says Thor of the Thunders.

No comments:

Post a Comment