Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Let the Cold Winds Blow

It's snowing like crazy here in Kansas. But I'm pretty sure I could say that if I was in a lot of other places around the country. I go on Facebook, and I see about a dozen statuses about snow, particularly ones with end-of-the-world-related puns in them: "Snowpocalypse," "Snowmageddon," and my personal favorite, "Snownarok."

People really do love their hyperbole.

I hear it so much from everyone that people stop taking things seriously. "If I don't _______, I'm just gonna kill myself!" I hear something along those lines pretty much every week, especially here in college. The problem is, 99.9% of the time, it's absolutely meaningless. They're not going to do anything even remotely similar to killing themselves, unless overeating, living an unhealthy lifestyle and smoking over a long period of time begin to count as forms of extremely slow suicide.

Then I read something like this, and I have to wonder, did they ever say something like that? People throw around these words and ideas so commonly that they begin to lose their effect. But when it is real, will we know the difference? I'd like to tell myself that I would be able to, and that I would do everything in my power to help people like them if the situation arose before me. But, in all honesty, I can't be sure that I would. 

We've blinded ourselves to a lot of the forewarnings to suicide, made the concepts of death and dying commonplace in society. It's become ingrained in the public psyche, and so we numb ourselves to the pain all around us. I'm tired of doing that, and I want to be sure that I could be the type of person that would be able to help people like those boys, people who are truly in distress.

Not too bright of a topic for a first post, is it? Don't worry, I'm sure the other guys will be able to brighten up this place in the meanwhile. If you're reading this, thanks for listening to my inane rambling, and I hope you enjoy reading our posts in the future as we start to get things going!

No comments:

Post a Comment